Skip to main content Skip to home page
 
Our History

Our History

A History of Caring

1907 
On January 24, Princeton Sanatorium formally opened its doors at 419 West State Street, Princeton, IN. Doctors R. S. Anderson, Frank Blair and A. L. Ziliak were the original owners of the hospital, which was equipped to care for 20 patients. The cost for the building at that time was $30,000. 

1910 
Princeton Sanatorium closed in August.

1917 
Spirited public citizens raised enough money to purchase the Sanatorium in the fall of 1917. The building and $10,000 were given to the Methodist Hospital Corporation to operate the facility as a branch of the large hospital in Indianapolis. A local board of trustees made operational decisions. 

Dedication of the new Princeton Methodist Hospital took place on September 19 and attendees of the day-long celebration included former United States Vice President Charles W. Fairbanks (who served under President Theodore Roosevelt). Princeton Methodist Hospital treated its first patient, Crawford Stormond, on September 20. 

1919 
On November 20, student nurses (probationers) are invited to start training at the hospital.

1922 
The Nurses' Home is dedicated on September 24. The former home of Mrs. Sallie Cunningham was purchased through donations offered by Mr. Thomas Carithers and transformed into a residence for nurses. The home, located immediately across the street from the hospital, allowed the nurses to have a home life, whereas before, the nurses quarters were located on the hospital's third story. 

1925 
On March 18, a devastating tornado hits south Princeton, killing 21 people and injuring 200 more. The hospital cared for 40 of the injured using their facility and temporary hospitals set up at the Elks and Eagles Homes and at the Armory. 

1926 
The Francisco Coal Mine explodes on December 12, hospitalizing 24 men with half of them in critical condition. Many of the injured were cared for at the Sanitorium, as well as other hospitals throughout the area. 

1932 
Princeton Methodist Hospital received accreditation from The American College of Surgeons and was the smallest hospital to earn that designation. 

1941 
The Methodist Hospital Corporation abandoned its statewide hospital program in October, forcing Princeton Methodist Hospital to become a private corporation governed by an impartial board of trustees. Once incorporated, the 20-bed facility was renamed Gibson General Hospital.  

1942 
Crowded conditions led to the first hospital expansion program. In 1942 the attic was converted into two nurseries, two private rooms, a nurses' station, a workroom and a bathroom. This newly created space, plus conversion of other areas, increased the bed capacity from 20 to 44 beds and 16 bassinets. Contributions from local citizens funded the $20,000 expansion.  

Installation of a new $10,000 x-ray unit purchased through a generous gift from Mrs. Amanta Maier Griffin in memory of her father, Herman Siegert, and husband, Paul Maier. The hospital hosted a public open house to view the new equipment.  

1956 
A grant from the Ford Foundation planted the seed for construction of a new and modern facility that would adequately serve the present and future medical needs of the people of Gibson County. Located on the west side of Princeton in the Tower-Heights subdivision, the 64-bed hospital would cost approximately $2 million and be funded by public subscription, federal government assistance and private donations.

1959 
Formation of the Gibson General Hospital Women's Auxiliary occurred in May. The ladies primarily served at the original hospital on West State Street delivering mail and flowers, taking responsibility for the visitors' cards and watering the plants. 

1962 
On February 10, patients and equipment were moved from the State Street facility to the new $2 million hospital located at 1808 Sherman Drive. The Gibson General Hospital Auxiliary members served lunch to the workers at both places and several of the members' husbands donated trucks and time to help move equipment. 

1968
A new, two-bed cardiac and intensive care unit opened in January. The Gibson General Hospital Women's Auxiliary funded most of the equipment. 

1969 
Completion of the Skilled Nursing Facility on the hospital's fifth floor increased overall bed capacity to 118. 

1982 
Implementation of a $5.8 million, two-phase expansion project resulting in a five-story tower and two-story office building on the west side of the facility began. By December, the new office space included a lobby area, gift shop, office, reception desk and canteen, as well as space for admitting, the business office, switchboard and the Health and Education Room.

1983 
Phase two of the expansion project culminated with a dedication of the new office building on July 24. The $400,000 phase includes modernization of some of the older building such as moving the emergency room to a former administrative office area and nearby waiting rooms.   

1989 
Gibson General Hospital affiliated with Alliant Management Services.

1995 
Gibson Home Health Services began, and a newly renovated four-bed critical care unit and 12-bed telemetry unit opened. 

1996 
Renovation of outpatient surgery area.

1996 
The Gibson County Art Guild, in conjunction with the hospital, created the Gibson County Art Gallery on the second floor. The Art Guild continues to place new pieces from local artists in the gallery for the enjoyment and pleasure of Gibson County residents. 

1996 
Refurbishing of the Skilled Nursing Facility.
Closure of inpatient behavioral health services. 

1997 
Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program begins. 

1998 
An Open House was held in February for the newly finished Labor/Delivery/Recovery (LDR) room. 

1999 
South Gibson Multi-Specialty Health Center in Fort Branch, Indiana, opens in October. 

June 24, 2001 
STAR One Rehab on the hospital's first floor opened to the public. 

2003 
Gibson General Hospital becomes a critical access hospital on December 15.

2005 
Respiratory Disease Clinic (Black Lung Clinic) created for persons with chronic lung disease or those diagnosed with Black Lung Disease. 

Fourth floor medical, surgical and pediatrics nursing units were remodeled to include private rooms with internet access. Also remodeled were the nurses’ station, quiet room, conference room, and two nursing sub-stations. 

Lifestyles Diabetes Center opens to provide a self-management education program for people diagnosed with diabetes. 

2006 
Sleep Diagnostics Center established on the hospital's third floor.

The Gibson General Hospital Labor and Delivery Unit closed, effective October 31, 2006. The last baby born in that unit arrived on October 30, 2006.

Cardiac ultrasound (Echocardiography) equipment gets an upgrade.  

2007 
Gibson General Hospital works with CPSI to implement a system-wide electronic health record.

2009 
Thanks to community support, Gibson General Hospital opens its new emergency room and outpatient entrance. The new construction expanded the ER from a 3,100 sq. ft., 7-bed facility to a 11,200 sq. ft., 12-bed facility.

2014 
In an effort to provide area employers with a more convenient, cost-effective way to improve the health and wellness of their employees, Gibson General Wellness Clinic launched with 3 locations.
 
Gibson General Hospital Pain Management Center opens on the hospital's second floor. 

2016
In December, Gibson General Hospital enters into a formal management agreement with Deaconess Health System in Evansville, IN. The goal of this agreement is to enhance services, and increase care coordination and clinical integration between the health care providers and the communities they serve. No assets were purchased and Gibson General Hospital remains a local, independent hospital. 
Back to top