Request a Bone Density Scan
If your doctor or provider has ordered a bone density scan, please use the form below to request your exam.
About Bone Density Scan (DEXA):
A scan similar to an x-ray that quickly and accurately measures the density of bone. It is used primarily to detect osteopenia or osteoporosis, conditions in which the bone's mineral and density are low and the risk of fractures is increased.
Bone Density Scan (DEXA) Guidelines
- Bone density scans require a physician's order
- Women who are age 65 years or older without previous known fractures are eligible
- Men or women age 65 or older who may have secondary causes of osteoporosis are eligible
- Women younger than age 65 who may have additional risk factors for osteoporosis are eligible
- Patient must NOT have had imaging with Barium or CT Oral Prep within 7 days of a bone density scan
- Medicare covers this exam every two years
- Bone Density Scans at Gibson General are provided Monday – Friday, 8 AM - 4PM