January 24,1907 Princeton Sanatorium. Formally opened its doors at 419 West State Street, Princeton, IN. Doctors R. S. Anderson, Frank Blair, and A. L. Ziliak were the original owners of the hospital, which was equipped to care for 20 patients. The cost for the building at that time was $30,000.
August 1910 Princeton Sanatorium closed the doors.
Fall 1917 Sanatorium purchased with funds raised by public spirited citizens. Building and $10,000 given to the Methodist Hospital Corporation, which operated it with a local Board of Trustees as a branch of the large hospital in Indianapolis.
September 19, 1917 The new Princeton Methodist Hospital was dedicated. Attending the day-long dedication ceremonies was former Vice President Charles W. Fairbanks (who served as VP under Theodore Roosevelt).
September 20, 1917 Princeton Methodist Hospital has its first patient Crawford Stormond.
November 20, 1919 Student nurses (probationers) are invited to start training at the hospital.
September 24, 1922 The Nurses' Home is dedicated. The former home of Mrs. Sallie Cunningham was purchased through donations offered by Mr. Thomas Carithers. The home is located immediately across the street from the hospital and allows the nurses to have a home life, whereas before, the nurses quarters were located on the hospital's third story.
March 18, 1925 1925 Tornado hits South Princeton. 21 dead and over 200 injured. The hospital met the emergency by caring for 40 of the injured. To meet the emergency, temporary hospitals were set up at the Elks and Eagles Homes and at the Armory.
December 12, 1926 Francisco Coal Mine explodes. 24 men were hospitalized, half of them in critical condition. Many of the injured were cared for at the Sanitorium, as well as other hospitals throughout the area.
1932 The American College of Surgeons approved the hospital the smallest hospital at that time to be accredited. Accreditation by the Joint Commission has been continuous since then.
October 10, 1941 The Methodist Hospital Corporation abandoned its statewide hospital program, and the hospital was incorporated as a private corporation, governed by an impartial Board of Trustees. The hospital was then named Gibson General Hospital. The hospital had 20 beds at this time.
1942 A new $10,000 X-ray unit is installed and a public open house to view the new equipment is held. The X-ray unit was purchased through the generosity of Mrs. Amanta Maier Griffin in memory of her father, Herman Siegert, and husband Paul Maier.
1942 The first hospital expansion program took place due to overcrowded conditions. At this time, the attic was converted into two nurseries, two private rooms, a nurses' station, a workroom, and a bathroom at a cost of $20,000 contributed by local citizens. With these additions and by reconverting other areas, the bed capacity was increased from 20 to 44 beds and 16 bassinets.
1956 With a grant from the Ford Foundation as a nucleus, plans were launched to build a facility that would adequately serve the present and future medical needs of the people of Gibson County. Through public subscription, federal government assistance and private donations, plans were underway to build a sixty-four bed hospital on the west side of Princeton in the Tower Heights sub-division.
May 20, 1959 The Gibson General Hospital Women's Auxiliary was formed. The services performed at the old hospital on West State Street were mainly mail and flower delivery, watering the flowers and being responsible for the visitors' cards.
January 1960 A schedule of day chairmen for the coordination of services was established and it is one of the most important services. Also, the Gibson General Hospital Women's Auxiliary became affiliated with the Evansville Area Council at an organizational meeting held at Washington, Indiana.
February 10, 1962 The new $2 million plus hospital was completed and the patients were moved from the West State Street address to its present address of 1808 Sherman Drive. The Gibson General Hospital Auxiliary members served lunch to the workers at both places and several husbands of the members donated trucks and time to help move equipment.
January 15, 1968 A new two-bed Cardiac, Intensive Care Unit was opened. Most of the equipment was funded by donations from the Gibson General Hospital Women's Auxiliary.
May 1969 The Skilled Nursing Facility on the present Fifth Floor was complete and occupied, bringing the bed capacity to 118.
December 1982 Phase I of a two-phase expansion project is completed. The total cost for the entire expansion was $5.8 million. The new office addition resulted in a new lobby area, gift shop, office, reception desk and canteen, as well as space for Admitting, Business Office, Switchboard, and the Health & Education Room.
July 24, 1983 A dedication of the second phase of the new office building was held. The $400,000 expansion includes modernization of some of the older building (such as moving the emergency room to an area formerly housing administrative offices and waiting rooms). The five-story tower and two-story office section on the building's west side were included in this expansion.
1989 Gibson General Hospital affiliated with Alliant Management Services.
August 1995 Gibson Home Health Services began, along with a newly renovated four-bed Critical Care Unit and a twelve-bed Telemetry Unit.
February 1996 A newly renovated Outpatient Surgery Area was opened.
August 11, 1996 The Gibson County Art Gallery was opened on the current second floor of the hospital. The Gibson County Art Guild continues to place new art from local artists in this gallery area for the enjoyment and pleasure of Gibson County residents.
December 1996 The Skilled Nursing Facility was totally refurbished.
1996 The Gibson General Hospital’s inpatient Behavioral Health Services was closed. All behavioral health services were referred to our Outpatient Behavioral Health office.
Fall 1997 Gibson General Hospital begins the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program.
February 1998 An Open House was held for a newly finished Labor/Delivery/Recovery (LDR) Room.
October 1999 Open House was held at the new South Gibson Multi-Specialty Health Center in Fort Branch, Indiana.
June 24, 2001 A newly renovated Rehab area on the first floor was officially opened to the public. It was named STAR One Rehab.
Summer 2002 The hospital's East Entrance was remodeled to provide easier access to the hospital entrance.
December 15, 2003 Gibson General Hospital becomes a critical access hospital.
January 2004 Gibson General Hospital's Skilled Nursing Facility receives Zero Deficiencies from the Indiana State Board of Health.
Fall 2005 Gibson General Hospital opens the Respiratory Disease Clinic (Black Lung Clinic) for persons with chronic lung disease or those diagnosed with Black Lung Disease.
August 14, 2005 An Open House was held to show off the hospital's latest renovations the Fourth Floor Medical, Surgical and Pediatrics Nursing Unit. The unit offers private rooms with internet access. Also remodeled were the nurses station, quiet room, conference room, and two nursing sub-stations.
August 2005 Lifestyles Diabetes Center is opened. The Lifestyles Diabetes Center provides a self-management education program for people diagnosed with diabetes. Self-management education is an essential component of diabetes treatment.
July 2006 Gibson General Hospital is proud to announce the opening of the Gibson General Hospital Sleep Diagnostics Center, located in Gibson General Hospital on the third floor. The sleep sonographer can monitor both adults and children.
August 2006 Gibson General Hospital announces a new service for senior citizens, a Senior Enrichment program, held on campus at 402 North Third Avenue, Princeton, IN. Called HOPE HOUSE, the program is a behavioral health service is designed for adults, ages 65 and older, who may be going through life changes and/or adjustments (such as the loss of a spouse, loss of independence, loss of a function, depression or anxiety, or marked personality changes over time, suicidal thoughts, or social withdrawal or isolation).
October 2006 Gibson General Hospital’s Sleep Diagnostics Center Evansville site at the Residence Inn on Evansville's East Side was opened.
October 2006 Indiana Business magazine; title sponsor BKD, LLP; National City Bank of Indiana; and Bose McKinney & Evans LLP, recently presented Gibson General Hospital's Lifestyles Diabetes Center the 2006 BKD Indiana Excellence Bronze Award for Health Care Excellence. Following a rigorous review of statewide nominations, Gibson General Hospital earned distinction first as a finalist, then as a bronze award winner with its BKD Award in the Health Care division. The BKD Award recognizes excellence for continuous improvement in key areas such as service, quality, and customer satisfaction.
October 31, 2006 After months of consideration and discussion between management & Board, it has been decided to close the Gibson General Hospital Labor & Delivery Unit effective October 31, 2006. The announcement regarding closing of the unit was given to medical staff, volunteers, and employees on August 1, 2006. The last baby born in Gibson General Hospital's OB Unit was delivered on October 30, 2006.
Fall 2006 Having hired its first advertising agency, Gibson General Hospital medical staff, administration, employees and volunteers were among the first to see the ad agency's first campaign, Centered Around You. The campaign featured patients testimonies, along with photos of hospital staff and physicians.
November 2006 Gibson General Hospital upgrades the cardiac ultrasound (Echocardiography) equipment. The new machine has crystal technology to perform in real-time analysis to provide more refined images. With 2007 software, the equipment provides the most advanced images available.
November 2006 GGH held its first Business Advisory Panel meeting. The Gibson General Hospital Business Advisory Panel seeks to obtain insightful business community response to programs and service delivery provided by Gibson General Hospital. The members will act as representatives of the business community, offering feedback and suggestions to the hospital management.