What Tasks Do Volunteers Perform and How Often?
Volunteers usually work once or twice a week for anywhere from three to four hours or up to eight hours at a time. They are needed seven days a week during the mornings, afternoons and evenings. Substitutes are available to cover your assignment when you have personal or travel commitments. Examples of volunteer duties:
How Do I Become a Volunteer
- Information Desk - Volunteers give information and directions to hospital visitors - an exciting service for those who enjoy greeting the public. Opportunities in this area are available seven days a week.
- Gift Shop - The Volunteer Services-sponsored gift shop provides attractive and useful items for patients, visitors and staff. Volunteers who are interested will provide assistance in stocking, sales and providing patient and public relations contacts. Volunteers are needed Monday - Saturday from 9 AM - 8 PM and Sunday from 1 - 4 PM. Proceeds are donated back to the hospital in the form of equipment purchases and program funding.
- Mail Delivery - Volunteers sort patient mail and deliver mail to patients. This service is conducted Monday through Saturday. This job requires a good sense of direction and healthy feet and legs for walking.
- Chart Assembly - Assemble and collate necessary charts and forms as requested, for various departments of the hospital, such as Surgery, Pre-Admission Testing, etc. This job requires healthy hands and arms for collating the forms.
- Crafts - Volunteers make flower arrangements, which are sold in the gift shop.
- Diet Aide - Volunteers assist residents in choosing menu items, as needed. When the menus have been completed, return them to the kitchen office. If time allows, offer to clean glasses, read to patients, etc.
- Skilled Nursing Facility - Volunteers have a variety of jobs in this area, such as delivering newspapers, filling drinking cups with ice and water, providing laundry services for residents, watering flowers and plants in patients' rooms, as well as offering assistance to the Activity Director for Bingo, games and other activities.
- Material Management (Storeroom) - Assisting storeroom personnel in receiving and delivering inventories. Assisting in cleaning of storeroom and other duties. Hours can vary but storeroom is open Monday through Friday from 7 AM - 3:30 PM (prefer volunteers in the mornings, if possible). Must have ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
The first step toward becoming a volunteer is to join the Gibson General Hospital Auxiliary. To join, simply fill out the Auxiliary Application
online or stop by the gift shop for a paper copy of the application.
After reviewing your application, the Auxiliary's membership chairperson will contact you to discuss available work hours, areas of interest, etc.
New volunteers are provided on-the-job training. Training is accomplished by partnering with an experienced volunteer for the specific area. In some cases a department employee provides the training.
In addition to the sense of accomplishment that comes with helping others and to make new friendships, there are a number of benefits that Gibson General Hospital offers to volunteers. They include:
- Fall (first Wednesday in October) luncheon to recognize volunteers for their hours and service to the hospital
- Free meals during their shifts (must work minimum hours during shift)
- Participation in hospital events
- Education/training opportunities
Membership to the Gibson General Hospital Auxiliary is open to all that are interested. There are three classes of membership - Active (those who participate with a minimum of 50 hours per year), Sustaining (those who participate with financial assistance but have no minimum hours) and Lifetime (those who pay a lifetime membership fee at one time).
Each year, the Gibson General Hospital Auxiliary awards a $1,000 scholarship to a student at all three Gibson County high schools. Students must plan to study a healthcare-related field. To apply, simply fill out the Auxiliary Scholarship Application
online or stop by your school office for a paper copy of the application.
For more information, call 812-385-9219
or send us an email at email@example.com.
Gibson General Hospital's volunteers give of their time and talents in service to others. We are so grateful to them for the important work they do for our patients and families. We are always looking for outstanding people who are called to help people through community service. Interested? Keep reading!